Testing your Android apps just got a whole lot easier — with the new Export Universal APK Step you can generate and deploy a universal APK to your test device from an Android App Bundle.
An Android App Bundle (AAB) is a publishing format that includes all your app’s compiled code and resources, and defers APK generation and signing to Google Play. From the second half of 2021, all new apps on Google Play will be required to publish with the AAB. (source: Android Developers)
Save time on development — there’s no need to build an APK next to the AAB for testing. With this new Step, you can directly test the App Bundle before releasing it to the Play Store, ensuring that your users receive the version you tested.
- The Step also signs the generated APK with a keystore (or debug keystore).
- The Step exports the universal APK to the $BITRISE_APK_PATH Environment Variable so that the next Step or the Ship add-on can pick it up.
Now let’s get to it
- Insert the Export Universal APK Step after the Android Build Step in your Workflow.
- The Android App Bundles path and Keystore URL input fields will be filled out automatically.
- All done! You can run your Workflow now.
Should you need more detailed instructions, please visit our DevCenter article.